Seed culture – day 3

As predicted there was a substantial amount of rise after I added flour to the starter yesterday.  Every hour or so we had to degas the starter so that it wouldn’t overflow the bowl – you can see in this photo just how much it had risen:

Reinhart predicts about a 50% rise on day 2, but as  you can see I got at least a 300% rise (perhaps more if we didn’t keep degassing).  This morning though the rise action seemed to have slowed down; I’m guessing because the yeast were running out of food and we had the air on overnight which cooled things down.

Today I added more flour and water and discarded half of the starter from yesterday.  Theoretically I’m just a couple of days away from baking my first loaf of sourdough bread.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s