Lately at work I’ve been having some trouble with making churros. The recipe is a basic pate a choux dough (2 cups milk, 4 oz butter, 4 tsp sugar – bring to a boil, add 2 cups of flour, cook for a little while, then place in Kitchenaid and add 8 whole eggs one at a time until they’re incorporated).
The problem that I’ve been encountering is that the dough has been way too slack, so that it’s impossible to pipe out. Last week when I made churros it was very humid and we thought that may have been a contributing factor.
But yesterday I got a chance to save last week’s failure and succeeded. I think I discovered that the main problem was not humidity but rather cooking time. The past couple of times I’ve had to use the grill due to space constraints but yesterday I was able to use the stove top and what a difference it made. The dough was stiff enough to pipe and held it’s shape beautifully.
The most annoying thing is that I’ve been making churros now for a couple of months (some time back I made 200 in one night for a catering event) and they’ve been working just fine. So it feels good to have finally figured out what was going so wrong.