I think that best of lists at the end of the year are pretty much bullshit. Why the hell do I care what somebody else thinks is good or not?
But, since I have this blog, why not?
More for myself to keep track of things than for anyone else, here are a few of my favorite things from the past year. None of the lists are in any particular order:
- Vanilla bean
- Caramelized sugar
- Juniper berries
- Duck (all parts, from the fat to breasts to legs)
- Banyuls wine vinegar
Things I’ve made:
- Macadamia crusted mahi mahi with a vanilla bean beurre blanc
- Breakfast sausage
- Baked custards – any type, any time
- Pasta stuffed with foie gras with black truffle/mascarpone cream sauce
- Seared foie gras (or duck breast, or better yet, both) with polenta cake and blackberry sauce
- Cilantro soup
- Red chicken – yummy yummy
Meals at Restaurants:
- Sweets & Savories, March and June (two meals in June) – a bonanza of courses on a quiet Sunday night for my mother-in-law’s birthday; power out at our house in June we sat at the bar, closing the place down with the staff and having more than a few beverages with them on a hot, humid summer night; summer black truffle dinner a few days later
- Tank Noodle, November – pho, specifically soft tendon
- Hot Doug’s, July & November – the Tuben with duck fat fries; roasted pepper and provolone pork sausage with port-infused grainy Dijon mustard, pepper D’Affinoise cheese and truffle-Armagnac chicken pâté
- North Pond Cafe, July -solid from beginning to end, one of the best meals I’ve had in my life. Of note was the use of salt throughout and the crab consomme.
- Charlie Trotters, January 2007
- Dim sum at either Happy Chef or “Little” Three Happiness at various times throughout the year, though the best time was at “Little” Three Happiness the day after Thanksgiving with Jon.
Albums to cook to:
- Arcade Fire – Neon Bible
- Of Montreal – Hissing Fauna are you the Destroyer
- Shout Out Louds – Our Ill Wills
- Feist – The Reminder
- Shins – Wincing the Night Away
- Richard Hawley – Lady’s Bridge
- Modest Mouse – We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank
- Broken Social Scene presents Kevin Drew – Spirit If. . .
So there you go. There may be one more addition after I eat at Citronelle in D.C. next week though. At least I hope so.